Struggling with split ends? Split ends preventing you from keeping long hair? First lets look at what are split ends.
What are Split Ends?
Years of improper hair care, harsh chemical treatments and brushing leads to split ends. If your hair is curly or rough or damaged, the natural oils produced by hair follicles are unable to travel down the length of hair. Thus hair remains undernourished and looks dry and rough.
If the nourishment is not provided on a regular basis through external means (using various products like conditioners and leave-in serums or providing deep conditioning treatments to the hair), the hair ends tips become extremely dry, brittle and get frayed by the regular onslaught of combs and brushes and other styling tools, if you use any. That leads to split ends. The most annoying part of all this is that once the spit ends develop, they have the ability to travel up the length of the hair and thus, if not treated on proper time, they can destroy the structure of the entire hair strand.
Try out these treating, preventing and removing split ends.
A. How To Remove Split Ends:
- Oiling your hair strands- Yes, you’ve heard it right, “your hair strands” . You don’t necessarily need to apply to the whole of your scalp if you are suffering from the split ends problem. All you need to do it get a good night’s sleep after oiling your hair strands with olive oil (only) or with a mixture of coconut oil, mustard oil, and olive oil in equal proportions and massage on to your full hair straight and also you should repeat this 3-4 times in a week especially towards the ends. Next morning your can wash it off with a mild gentle shampoo
- If you can get hold of fresh avocado , then you can always have a hair mask made out of avocado by making a paste avocado and use it on the full hair along with the scalp , from root to tip and leave on for about 20 minutes , rinse off and shampoo.
- Make a mixture of one teaspoon of almond oil to one egg yolk or increasing the number of eggs to 2-3 depending on hair length and also the almond oil in proportion and beat it up into a liquid frothy paste and use it on the full hair, wear a plastic cap and leave on before shampooing for about 20 minutes.
- Can you get hold of walnut oil? If you can then this is awesome for split ends. Massage and leave on the full or just the end past of your hair and wash off with a mild shampoo next morning , you split end problem should be solved in just about 1 to 2 months with walnut oiling to your hair 4 to 5 times a week.
B. How To Avoid split ends:
- Cut No more than ¼ or an inch of your hair when you go in for split end trimming or when u decide to do it at home. Go in for hair trimming every 6 to 8 weeks.
- Wear a cap when you go out in the sun if you have a tendency to get split ends.
- Don’t leave you hair flowing all the time especially outdoors because wind can do severe damage to your hair ends. Always tie your hair in a braid or bun.
- Regular conditioning is essential followed up with a good hair serum or regular oiling of hair.
- Cut down on the hot iron curlers and too much of styling gel and styling products and hair colors
C. Removing Split ends:
Some practical steps to take care of split ends:
- Use good quality hair brushes and combs.
- Make sure you only use hair products of a reputed brand.
- The products should be gentle on your hair.
- Try to alternate between home remedies and commercially available products.
- Salon treatments may be a bit expensive but are good nonetheless. Book yourself some deep conditioning appointments and go for regular hair spa treatments.
- If you want to snip off the ends at home, make sure you use a proper hair scissor, or hair shear. Using regular paper scissors can cause further damage by causing split ends.
- Use as less chemicals as possible. For those of you who love to play with hair, take it a bit easy. Let your hair heal completely and be healthy before going for too many experiments. Perming, straightening, regular blow drying can severely damage hair and cause split ends.
- Always use protective products like leave in conditioners, hair serums and heat protecting serums. This will ensure your hair gets as less damage as possible.
- Always rinse out your hair before swimming and take a quick shower after swimming. This will prevent any chlorine build up in the hair and prevent split ends.
- Always comb gently. Avoid brushing hair when it is damp.
- Keep your hair tied as much as possible. Open hair is more prone to damage.
Home Treatments that Work:
1. Olive Oil:
Olive oil can not only act as a requisite part of our comfort food like pasta, it can be a comfort to your split end prone hair too. Warm olive oil and just massage onto scalp and covering the ends. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash out. You can wear a towel on your hair or saran wrap it and leave it on, overnight. It helps your hair like a deep conditioner would.
Papaya is rich in many nutrients and is a great conditioner for hair, even if you apply it as a mask or just eat it. To make a hair mask, de-seed and blend up some papaya (according to your hair length) in the mixer and mix with half a cup of yoghurt, which is also great for hair! Apply to hair like you would with any other mask. Leave it on for 20 minutes. Then wash your hair as usual.
3. Vitamin E Capsules:
Vitamin E is an integral part of the hair’s chemical makeup. Using it can strengthen the hair. To apply the Vitamin E topically, first remove the oil from the capsules. Then mix it either with yoghurt or warm water. Apply this on to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes, then wash as usual.
Egg contains copious amounts of protein which can smooth the hair shaft and strengthen it. Beaten eggs can be applied to the hair mixed with yoghurt, water or any hair oil and the mask will give you amazing hair for sure! It will make the hair look shiny immediately. It can also strengthen the hair over a span of time. It surely is a complete food that is also a complete hair care remedy!
A bottle of Beer is not just good to kick back and relax with. Although it may not be too good for your liver, it is great for your hair! After shampooing, massage in a cup of flat beer into your hair and rinse out. Your hair will become amazingly soft! Keep in mind that the darker the beer, the better it is for your hair.
Treatment: Things Not to Try:
There are always great natural remedies, but there are also many hoaxes out there. This is a list of those products that are said to be great for hair but will cause more pain than gain!
It can be very hard to wash out of hair since it is so sticky. The only way is to use really hot water to get it out of your hair completely. But hot water is really bad for your hair, so in addition to being a hassle to use, using it can even be detrimental.
Eggs are great for your hair. Oil is good for your hair too. Vinegar might be good for your hair. So a mixture of these must be the perfect product for your hair right? No! Just because a mixture whipped up with products that are meant to be good for your hair, does not mean it really is! You’re better of making some other hair maskbecause mayo is an emulsion that is just going to clump up your hair and make it smell bad! It will also be a hassle to get it out too.
Too clumpy again! And even if you do manage to apply it well, you’ll be taking chunks of banana out of your hair, hours after you’ve washed it!
Now that you know-how about dealing with split ends, and let us know of your experiences with such DIY hair mask! Did you try a mayo mask and end up smelling for days like a subway sandwich? Let us know! We are always ready to share the pain and share the laughter!